CHCS is a year-round, 1-12 grade, ACSI accredited school that provides educational opportunities designed to prepare students who are at-risk for a productive life. Teachers work alongside houseparents, social workers, and other team members to ensure we are providing the holistic opportunity each child needs for a well-rounded future.
Kids at Cookson Hills attend our on-site Christian School. Students arrive throughout the year, so year-round sessions give them the opportunity to easily jump into a class. Educational gaps such as lacking a basic foundation, struggling with reading, failing subjects, or excessive absences are common prior to enrollment. So, we adjust for these challenges on an individual basis. We offer opportunities for credit recovery, earning college credit, and partnering with local tech sites for vocational training.
Our school staff focuses on educating students academically, spiritually, and socially in a trauma-informed environment and integrates a Biblical worldview into all content areas. Small class sizes allow teachers to make sure each student is getting the personalized instruction he or she needs to succeed.
Difficult behavior in the classroom isn’t unique to Cookson Hills, but the way we treat students with behavior issues is. Faculty offer care and training to help students build lifelong strategies for addressing the root of their difficulties. This helps produce students who can confidently engage in learning.
CHCS offers competitive athletic programs including girls volleyball and basketball and boys basketball and cross country. Additionally, students have the opportunity to take part in equine programs, drumline, and fine arts classes.
Cookson Hills Christian School, Inc. admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
EXPECTED STUDENT OUTCOMES
As we strive to attain our vision, we will develop a school culture designed to guide students in their academic, spiritual, and social growth. After completing their planned time of enrollment at CHCS, students will:
1. Have a positive attitude toward Christ and His body.
2. Know God’s story and be able to contrast it with other stories, equipped to make a clear minded choice about their faith, ideally surrendering to Christ as Savior and Lord.
3. Be academically prepared and have acquired skills for lifelong learning.
4. Be able to think critically and engage in problem solving, individually, and collaboratively.
5. Be able to form and sustain positive relationships.
6. Communicate their thoughts and feelings in a respectful and effective way.
7. Have begun to identify and develop their God-given talents and character strengths.
8. Be motivated to identify and respond to the needs of others with compassion.
9. Understand the elements and value of a healthy lifestyle.
10. Understand failure is an opportunity for growth